Osteoarthritis, also known as OA and degenerative joint disease, is a slow damage and breaking down, or deterioration, of the cartilage around the bones that connect at the joints. This affects both human carers and companion animals and can affect any joint in the body.
If you notice the following signs and symptoms associated with osteoarthritis, you may want to consult with your veterinarian for a complete physical and treatment regimen:
- A noticeable decrease in activity
- Stiffness, limping, or favoring a limb
- Inability to rise or get up with ease, particularly after sleep or resting
- Reluctance to walk, jump, play, climb stairs etc.
- Shows signs of pain or soreness (winces when touched; irritability; fatigue, etc.)
- Partial or complete lameness/inability to walk
- Lagging behind on walks
- Whimpering or yelping in pain
- Acting aggressive or withdrawn
- Displaying other changes in behavior or disposition
The results of using Phytocannabinoid Rich (PCR) Hemp Oil for companion animals’ arthritis, particularly in dogs, is looking positive. In a 2017 survey of customers, PAWMEDS found that a majority of the survey applicant's, 71%, were utilizing their product to treat their pets’ joint or bone pain or arthritis. 71% of all respondents said their pet was a senior animal, or over 8 years old, which is the common age range for onset of arthritis and mobility problems. And over 90% of respondents said they would recommend others to use Hemp treatments with their pets as well. Dog bed also play a vital role in reducing joint pain. While you are choosing a bed for your dog, try to find some orthopedic bed which will give your beloved dog a comfortable place for rest.
This high level of satisfaction with Phytocannabidiol therapy for companion animals is certainly a hopeful trend in veterinary medicine. With the right tools and patience, even elderly companion animals can regain their quality of life and experience a comfortable journey into old age.