CBD is an extremely popular health supplement.
And for good reason:
By activating the Endocannabinoid System, which has been shown to play a key role in everything from appetite regulation to inflammatory processes, CBD can have a wide variety of health benefits.
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Relief from anxiety and stress
- Relief from allergies
- Metabolic regulation
… and much more.
And, because dogs and cats have an Endocannabinoid System just like humans, they can reap many of the same benefits from CBD as humans can.
However, if you plan to use CBD with your pet, you need to be aware of how the supplement might interact with any other medications or supplements your pet is taking.
Make sure to ask yourself the following questions before starting to use CBD with your dog or cat:
- Why do you want to give your pet CBD? Do you plan to use it as a daily health supplement or are you trying to treat a specific medical condition/symptom?
- Does your pet currently take any other supplements or medications? If so, what are they and how are they metabolized? Ask your vet about the specifics of how your pet’s meds work and whether CBD could possibly interfere.
- If there is a risk of interaction, is it possible to take your pet off their regular medication for a period while you trial CBD?
- If it is not possible to completely take your pet off their regular medications, could you adjust the dosage to minimize the risk of a drug interaction?
- Are there other alternative medications your pet could take that won’t interact with CBD?